Friday, May 8, 2015

The Power of Great Friends


I had an off day yesterday. I started beating myself up over everything that's been going wrong. Keep in mind, nothing huge is going wrong. I know how blessed I am to have the life that I have with the people that surround me. I am grateful. But don't you just have those days where everything bothers you?

Sometimes, I get this feeling of doom and just think 'It's probably better if I just stay in bed'. Most days, I'm okay, truthfully. I don't sweat the small stuff and things just roll right off of me. Maybe it's because of the small kitchen fire that happened this past Sunday that I can't stop blaming myself for or the fact that I scratched the back of the van after pulling out of our parking spot. Keep in mind, I've cooked probably thousands of times on this stove in the 3 years since we've lived here and I've never severely burned food or caught the stove on fire. The one time I do it, I think "I'm never cooking again, that's it!" I know it sounds silly and I'm probably too old to have these thoughts and have this approach to life. I should know better. I probably shouldn't be beating myself up over putting another little scratch on the van, considering it's little and at least I didn't hit anybody or another car.

Today, things are looking a bit clearer. Yesterday all I could think was "I suck, what a terrible week!". Then I ran into Luisa, my friend who I have way too much in common with, including the same amount of daughters, and she made me feel better. She looked at the damage and pretty much kept me from crying, reminding me that it wasn't a big deal. Then I spent a while texting with Laura, another really good friend who has been there for me before when I needed support.

I try not to be one of those people who feel the need to tell everyone when I'm having a shitty day. But every now and then, you need to vent to people other than your husband. Every now and then, you need good, supportive friends who are going to say to you "It's okay, it's no big deal, you'll be fine." It's always so comforting talking to my two best friends, Luisa and Laura. They're two of the kindest, smartest people I've ever known. I'm very thankful for them also.

So in hindsight, I guess I'm doing much better today. I threw myself a little pitty party yesterday (with a few tears) and then picked myself back up. Besides, who has time to wallow in unnecessary sadness? I have to go grocery shopping, load the dishwasher then pick up the girls from school! I also have to find time for a workout today, but that's another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers