Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hair is an Accessory

I don't know how I'm typing right now. I stayed up all night doing my hair...perming, blow-drying, braiding, sewing...yeah, I got my weave again. And I don't want to turn this blog into a whole "black girls should all have their natural hair because" type of thing, I'm just proud of myself of accomplishing such a great task. Not just anyone can sew in a weave! It takes brains and patience and talent! I went to beauty school for 4 months, but they never taught me this! I learned how to do it because my best friend has done mine on and off for the last 2 years. And yes, my mother will argue that I have beautiful hair that's long, and my husband will argue that I look better with my naturally curly hair, but at the end of the day, it's how you feel most beautiful. I can't say what makes me "feel" the most beautiful, because hair to me is an accessory.

My hair is not who I am, it's just a decision I make for a short amount of time. Hair, to me, is like a bracelet. Or earrings. You have your favorite bracelet, but maybe it doesn't go with a certain outfit, or it's a bangle bracelet and it's uncomfortable for the moment. I had my curly ringlets for most of the summer because it was convenient. I have three little kids, I don't have to time, when getting ready to go out of the house, to do 3 little girls hair then popping out a flat iron or blow dryer or all of the above. Convenience drives most of my life right now, while I have little kids. I'll have way more choices once they're older and can do more for themselves.

Hair is fashion to me! I may want a pink skirt today, or blue jeans! Whatever! In beauty school, I learned, it's just hair and there is so much I can do with it. And I love my naturally curly hair, fucking love it, so does my husband, and I like fitting in with my family (as he and my daughters have curly hair too), but sometimes, I like my 18" weave just to be different.

But then I worry about my career in Hollywood. A lot of black girls got long straight weaves. The black chicks you see in commercials now days have my curly hair! But you know what, it's cool. Because I really don't want to fit into anybody's stereotype on what I should do with my hair or not. I got crap last year when I had blue bangs. Yep. Black hair, blue bangs. My friends and husband thought it looked awesome. My mom and aunts weren't feeling it, like when I used bright red hair to do my microbraids years ago. Whatever, man, hair is an accessory. Weave doesn't make me "wannabe white" and curly hair doesn't make me "true to who I am". Besides...the weave isn't white people's hair...it's Indian!

Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers